Do I Really Need to Customize My ERP Software?

Visit Website View Our Posts

In a perfect world, the ERP system that you spent so much time and effort selecting would automatically fit every criteria on your checklist and naturally work with each of your unique business processes.  In the real world, however, only 3%* of businesses that implement ERP solutions have a custom developed system that is designed to fit the specific way they do business.  If you are part of the other 97% of companies, you simply pick the solution that is the best possible fit and then you are left with two choices:

  • Use it as-is and adapt your processes around the solution (like 15% of organizations with ERP solutions)
  • Make customizations to the out-of-the-box system so that it suits your processes and provides the data you need the way it makes sense for your business

If your organization is like most, you’ll be taking the second approach.   While customizing your new ERP may seem like a frustrating additional step to your implementation process, having a system that optimizes your business processes, is accessible and intuitive to your people, and addresses every necessary aspect of your business makes the extra effort worthwhile.

ERP customization does not need to be a painful process, especially if you take your customization needs into account during your software selection.  By selecting an ERP software solution that is easily customizable, you can empower your internal IT resources and system administrators to adapt the solution to fit your needs quickly and cost effectively.  For example, all of the Microsoft Dynamics ERP products allow you to interact with them using the .Net programming platform which simplifies customization.  They also include Web Services and developer tools to enable ties between existing systems and further in-house customization of the system.

If your customization needs extend beyond your IT resources, there are software development companies that can do the work for you and train you on how to use the new functions within your system.  You can save yourself several steps in this process by engaging an ERP partner that can do your custom development for you.  A partner, like Socius, who goes through the software selection process with you, already knows your requirements, processes, needs and the intricacies of your ERP solution.  Therefore, they make an ideal choice for your ERP custom development needs.  Plus, they are your one-stop for all aspects of your ERP solution for the duration of time you are using the software.

To find out if a customized ERP solution is right for your business, consider beginning your software selection process with a Business Process Review!

By Socius, a Microsoft Dynamics ERP Partner in Ohio, California, and Kansas City

*The statistics provided in this post are provided by Panorama Consulting, an independent ERP consulting firm.  Full results and analysis are available in their 2011 ERP Report

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons