Getting through repetitive tasks like creating Sales Orders and Purchase Orders with less data entry is a goal for many of us. Why not create your new orders by pulling in line items you need from a past order, quote, or other document record?
This Microsoft Dynamics AX tip will provide the steps to allow you to create new sales and purchase orders by copying line items from existing Microsoft Dynamics AX records for added efficiency. This tip is beneficial for those that frequently enter repetitive sales and purchasing data allowing them to select from a catalogue of line items already entered in the ERP software.
- Create a new Sales Order or Purchase Order
- Fill in applicable header detail in HEADER VIEW or copy the detail into the order as described in step 4.
- Click LINE VIEW to begin line order entry.
Figure 1: Sales Order Screen
Figure 2: Purchase Order Screen
4. Click FROM ALL or FROM JOURNAL to select order lines for duplication.
What’s the difference between FROM ALL and FROM JOURNAL?
Allows you to select line items from the following document types:
- Packing Slips
- Product Receipts
- Project Invoices
- Purchase Orders
- Sales Orders
Figure 3: FROM ALL as shown from Purchase Order Screen
Figure 4: FROM ALL as shown from the Sales Order Screen
Allows you to select line items from the following document types of the same order:
- Quotation confirmation journals
- Purchase/sales confirmation journals
- Product receipt/packing slip journals
- Invoice/project invoice journals
Figure 5: FROM JOURNAL as shown from the Purchase Order Screen
Figure 6: FROM JOURNAL as shown from the Sales Order Screen
5. Using SETUP, at the top of the form, you can select one or more of the following options:
|Quantity factor||Specify the amount for the selected order lines to be increased or decreased.|
|Invert sign||Select to reverse the sign of the copied lines for the order quantity in relation to the selected lines.|
|Copy Charges||Copy any line miscellaneous charges. Header charges are also copied if Copy Order Header checkbox is selected.|
|Copy Precisely||Select to copy all dimensions, sales tax, and ledger accounts to the new order. Delivery dates are not copied.|
|Copy Order Header||Select to copy header information from the selected order to the new order.|
|Recalculate Price||Recalculate price based on current purchase/sales or trade agreements|
|Delete Purchase/Order Lines||Select to delete any previously entered order lines for the current order before copying.|
6. Navigating through the tabs in the upper section of the screen, select the document(s) (purchase order, quotation, invoice etc.) that you wish to copy line items from.
Once selected, all associated line items will appear in the lower section of the screen.
7. Click the MARK checkbox to select required line item(s). Change the quantity on the lines as needed.
8. Click OK to insert the line items into the newly created order.
9. Continue with completion of order.
If you are not already using the copy FROM ALL and FROM JOURNAL features, you will find a significant improvement in efficiency by taking advantage of this tip. Easy to use, this functionality allows you to quickly complete orders through line item duplication with an added bonus of even being able to insert header detail.
For more tips about Microsoft Dynamics AX Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Software,
BDO Solutions is a national firm with local practices throughout Canada, a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and Reseller of the Year in Canada for 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Jasmine Chai, ERP Solutions Consultant, BDO Canada LLP. Jasmine has over 7 years of industry experience working with various versions of Microsoft Dynamics AX, from its days as AXAPTA to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012. Jasmine has delivered ERP consulting services to a range of manufacturing clients including pharmaceutical and food and beverage.