Check out Rockton Software's article in
Tool Tips for Your Microsoft Dynamics GP Garden
Garden you ask? Why, yes! We, Rockton Software, thought it would be creative to use a garden analogy when thinking of ways to make your Microsoft Dynamics GP work simpler and easier.
By now, you probably have your plot of ground (platform, ERP system, Microsoft Dynamics GP), your garden per se,in place and are trying different things each year to enhance what you have. We understand that “home grown” is the best and want to introduce you to our customer and partner grown product: Dynamics GP Toolbox.
History of Dynamics GP Toolbox
In 2009, we set out on a cross-country journey visiting our partners and customers on The Rockton Road Trip. During the trip, we often had folks introduce themselves with a great product idea. Most suggestions started with "Gee, it sure would be nice if..." Surprisingly, some of our products already did what was being suggested, and it was interesting to see the expression on their faces when we mentioned it. We often get feedback from partners on how customers like the details we add to our products, and the customer service that comes with it.
During the Rockton Road Trip, we ran a contest called . . . The Next Big Thing; we solicited product ideas from Microsoft Dynamics GP users and were amazed at the quantity and quality of responses. It was not one idea, but there were several suggestions that when rolled out together made for a great new product: Dynamics GP Toolbox, which debuted at Convergence 2010 in Atlanta.
Does your garden have a fence around it?
Security – tools that make your Microsoft Dynamics GP more secure
- Make room for other users to log in without causing any data issues.
- You determine the time-period before the user is logged out.
- Option to exclude specific users from ever being logged out, such as system administrators.
- Great tool for those who have users who do not log out at the end of the day.
- Users will not be logged out if they are in the middle of a process, or if they have a window open where there is partially entered data.
- Simple interface allows easier navigation than the standard security windows in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- The right side of the window is the security grid that shows a list of all security settings for each user.
- You can modify the security from within this window by double-clicking the cells in the security grid.
- Export your security settings from this window into Excel, make changes, and import information back into Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Default filters can be used to sort your security information, or you have the ability to create your own.
Who oversees your garden?
Administration – tools that help the System Administrator
- This also includes products like HR, Fixed Assets, and other GP integrated solutions distributed by Microsoft.
- When users log in, Version Pro verifies that all products required by the system are loaded and the current version.
Other administration tools include Login Logging and
How many things are you growing in your garden?
Business Processes – tools that improve specific modules
- When a payment is created, it is tracked and routed for approval by up to 3 levels.
- Choose whether or not the payments need to be approved in tier order.
- You can use the payment approval window to track and view the payment approval process. You can approve and reject payments if you are an approver.
- Great tool if you have more than one company.
- Saves time by allowing you to open and close multiple fiscal periods for multiple companies at one time.
- Create new fiscal periods for multiple companies at the same time.
Do you remember where everything is planted in your garden?
User Experience – tools that make the Microsoft Dynamics GP experience simpler and easier
- Short for Menu Locator.
- Great for new users, but is helpful for everyone.
- Allows you to enter a name or partial name of any window you are looking for and returns a list of potential matches you can choose from.
- Great tool for the IT team and for users who build reports, SmartLists, or Extender windows.
- Technical information for the data you want is right there in one window.
Dynamics GP Toolbox has something for every user of Microsoft Dynamics GP.
This collection of tools was created to solve everyday business needs.
- System Administrators love saving user licenses with Inactivity Timeout, simplifying security with our advanced single-screen Security Manager, maintaining Dynamics GP with System Maintenance Lockout and preventing unauthorized use with User Lockout.
- Accountants rave about the cross-company Period Open/Close and heightened AP management with Payment Approvals.
- Power Users find data behind screens with Inspector, while new and experienced users alike feel empowered navigating Dynamics GP instantly using Mentor.
Download your COMPLIMENTARY copy of The Summer 2013 Edition of The GP Optimizer Magazine at
Written By Marketing at Rockton Software, a Microsoft Dynamics GP Add-On Partner